Thinking about brewing beer for sale? Here’s just some of what is required:
* Brewery Qualification: You must qualify with the TTB by submitting a Brewer’s Notice, issued after a wait of about three months. This process includes a background check and very detailed application requesting a variety of documentation.
* A $1,000 Brewer’s bond.
* Precise record keeping including amounts of grain and other ingredients purchased and proof materials purchased equal amount of product produced in a given period.
* Regular tax payments to the TTB, along with proper documentation demonstrating the payments represent an accurate reflection of production.
* State certification to include as required a brewery license, manufacturing license and wholesaler’s beer license.
* A possible on-site inspection by the TTB of the proposed premises and operations when the brewery is up and ready to start running-but before it starts running.
The TTB must approve your operations before you can start making beer.
Consult with a qualified attorney before you start.